Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Here on Lucky Street

I had one more lucky happening. The other week I had a hankering for a Dunford chocolate donut. Okay, I admit, I always have a hankering for a Dunford donut. But that week I had it even more than usual. Especially since Bryce started losing weight and we made a bargain that whoever weighs less at the end of the year gets to decide where we'll live permanently. But then he threw in that I'm only allowed to eat Dunford donuts and butter between now and then. I got the grocery store ads in the mail and found that some of the food I needed for the Relief Society retreat was on sale. Lucky. So I loaded the kids in the car and ran over to Macey's only to find that the ad didn't go into effect until the next day. Not so lucky. Clearly, there was only one thing to be done. Time to buy donuts. The kids picked out theirs (chocolate icing with colored shots), but there were no Dunfords in sight. I asked at the counter and learned that they were already sold out. It was only 11 a.m.! The early bird gets the Dunford donut apparently. Not so lucky. I managed to eat a sugar donut anyways. Sometimes you have to compromise.

Next day we took the kids to the park and then stopped at Albertson's on the way home. I looked for Dunford donuts, but they were sold out too. Not so lucky. Then in the back of the store I saw the clearance grocery bin. And you've always got to check out the clearance bin...even though clearance groceries creep me out a bit. When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a four pack of Dunfords sitting right there! Woohoo!

And they were delicious.

Which means they worked out much better than the free photo session I won. Our appointment was on Saturday evening at 7 p.m. I spent over an hour trying to get my hair to do something besides be frizzy and then got the boys dressed and ready to go. We got to the location at 7:07. Few minutes late, but not too bad. I didn't know what the photographer looked like and there were several people there taking pictures so we sat in our car for a minute thinking someone might acknowledge us. When no one did, I called the photographer's cell number. No one answered, but as it was ringing I saw a lady taking pictures look at a phone and put it back in her pocket. We got out of the car and the lady glanced at us and I waved but she didn't respond. Then she glanced at us again and I said "Are you the person I was just calling?" She replied "Oh, I didn't answer it because I didn't recognize the number." Interesting. Considering we were supposed to be meeting you here. Answering might have been helpful. She was taking pictures of some other kids and said "Give me like 15 more minutes." Which seemed like a bad plan since it was now about quarter after 7. But whatever. So Bryce and I took the boys off to the other side of the orchard so they wouldn't interfere with the other pictures. We were still just hanging out at 7:25 so Bryce suggested that we should go stand by the photographer so she would remember we were waiting. We did and finally at about 7:30 she said she was ready for us. It was too dark to shoot in the trees so she had us sitting on the grass in front of the orchard. By 7:44 it was completely dark. She said she would look over the pictures and post some online by the next day. The next night I got online to see if she had posted any of our pictures. Instead I found that she had e-mailed me to say that the pictures didn't turn out. She said that her appointment before us was 15 minutes late (not my problem) and that we were 15 minutes late (half that actually) and it got dark "SO fast" (is the sunset a surprise?) and none of the pictures turned out. She offered to schedule a re-do session, but we were not really feeling the desire to do all the prep work again. And that is the end of my free photo session.

Thank you Dunford donuts - you never let me down.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Sorry about the crappy photographer, but yay for doughnuts! Frosted fried anything will fix everything, I always say.

Hey, I'll settle your argument with Bryce for you. You should permanently live one block east. You'll have the best neighbors around, guaranteed. Oh, and I'll bring you one doughnut per week for the rest of your life. Well, I might not, but you'll never know unless you try, right?